Picture Book Strategies provides teachers with the tools for developing a balanced reading program using literature as its focus. Polette presents 33 strategies and literature-based activity examples to use so students can respond to the literature in creative ways using skills important to literacy.
Those skills include . . .
– Using sound skills to identify unknown words
– Determining word meaning through context
– Demonstrating understanding by thinking critically
-Employing strategies for locating and using information
– Reading for personal development
– Using steps of the writing process
– Listening critically
– Using appropriate oral language
– Organizing thoughts
– Applying language and thinking skills across the curriculum