Activities for Any Novel provides approaches for developing a balanced reading program using literature as its focus. Polette presents literature-based activity examples allowing students to respond to literature in creative ways using skills important to literacy. Involve students with:
– Vocabulary to group and/or use in sentences
– Open-ended sentence starters
– Higher order discussion questions
The strategies incorporate the Six Keys to Learning.
– Learning is social.
– Learning begins with the learner's experience.
– Successful learning requires risk taking.
– True learning stresses meaning.
– Learning must be active.
– Effective learning mandates choice.
Polette also presents a clear procedure for evaluating projects.